1. -----Nancy is not coming tonight.
----- But she _____!
A. promises B. promised C. will promise D. had promised
2. We've made some achievements, but there is still a long way _____.
A. going B. to go C. gone D. to be gone
3. Dr. Bethune began to work the _____ he arrived at the front.
A. moment B. place C. way D. reason
4. ----- This pen isn't yours, is it?
A. Yes, it's not mine B. No, yours is bigger
C. No, it's my friend's D. Yes, mine's a red one
5. ----- Thanks for the_____ you did me to move away the stone.
----- That's all right.
A. favour B. good C. trouble D. kindness
6. She won't be afraid as _____ as you are here.
A. long B. well C. soon D. far
7. It isn't quite _____whether she will take the advice.
A. sure B. right C. certain D. exact
8. Shirley _____a book about China last year but I don't know whether she has finished it.
A. has written B. wrote C. had written D. was writing
9. _____the children to bed, she began to correct the students' exercises.
A. Sending B. Being sent C. sent D. Having sent
10. Nobody noticed the thief slip into the house because the lights happened to _____.
A. be put up B. give in C. be turned on D. go out
11. Why do you want a new job_____ you've got such a good one already?
A. that B. where C. which D. when
12. He insisted that his brother ____ the window. It was clear that someone else broke
A. should not break B. should not have broken
C. hadn't broken D. would not break
13. ----- Can you come on Monday or Tuesday?
----- I'm afraid _____day is possible.
A. either B. neither C. some D. any
14. ----- Don't forget to come to my birthday party, Mr. Wang. ----- _____.
A. No, I don't B. Yes, I can't C. No, I won't D. Yes, I'm sure
15. Tom's father, as well as his mother, _____in New York for a few more days.
A. suggest him to stay B. suggested him that he should stay
C. suggest him staying D. suggests he stay
Most people agree that fencing (击剑) is one sport in which a person must be at least 30 years old before he learns all he needs to know about the sport. (16 ) Clark Summers of the University of Detroit (17 ) that this doesn't always have to be (18 ).
Clark is a different kind of fencer in a lot of (19 ). He is American, while most fencers are from the (20 ) of Europe. He is black while most fencers in the past have been (21 ). And he is (22 ) 22 years old.
Many people (23) that Clark is the most promising fencer in this country today. Although he is young, he has been able to (24) the necessary skills. Already he has won a number of fencing contest (竟赛) (25) older fencers. He is almost (26) to become a member of the U. S. Olympic(奥林匹克 ) fencing team!
"There is no (27) danger in fencing, today, Clark says. "But I never (28) that fencing was not always a sport. In the old days, People fenced to(29)a quarrel. Each match was a matter of (30) If that (31) true in the matches I (32) in today, every touch against me would mean that I (33) wounded or killed. So I try to play (34) l were fencing for my life. I don't like, the idea of being (35) ! " 16. A. And B. But C. Then D. So
17. A. heard B. has thought C. has shown D. suggested
18. A. true B. wrong B. clear D. clever
19. A. sense B. sports C. ways D. times
20. A. countries B. east C. west D. schools
21. A. brave B. strong C. white D. young
22. A. at least B. not C. already D. only