1.He is ______ a writer.
A. failure as B. a failure as C. the failure for D. a failure with
2.– can you come on Monday or Tuesday?– I'm afraid ______ day is possible.
A. either B. neither C. any D. some
3.Dr. Black comes from either Oxford or Cambridge. I can't remember ______.
A. where B. there C. which D. what
4.In the centuries _____, Egypt became one of the most advanced civilizations on earth.
A. followed B. tat was followed C. which was following D. which followed
5.To enter his house is like ______ a small museum.
A. to enter B. entering C. entered D. enter
6.The local government cut down their costs ______ 30 percent.
A. at B. by C. for D. with
7.I'm reading his ______ novel.
A. best-selling B. best-sold C. best-sale D. best-sell
8.It's rude of you to shout _______ the room.
A. beyond B. through C. across D. over
9.People are more likely to stay _______ 30 miles of _______ they were born.
A. in … where B. at … what C. within … what D. within … where
10.After searching for half an hour, she realized that her glasses ______ on the table all the time.
A. were lain B. had been lain C. have been lying D. had been lying
11.Facts show that as many as 50 percent of patients do not take drugs ______ directed.
A . like B. as C. which D. so
12.I walked too much yesterday and ______ are still aching now.
A. my leg muscles B. my muscles of leg
C. my leg's muscles D. my muscles of the leg
13.He will have ______ 30 by the end of this year.
A. turned B. become C. got D. taken
14.Macao ______ its return to China in December, 1999.
A. watched B. found C. saw D. noticed
15.This hotel _______ $60 for a single room with bath.
A. charges B. demands C. prices D. claims
My father waved me goodbye and the bus (16)_____. My first country journey then began. The man sitting next to me was a road engineer. He said that (17)_____ by bus was an excellent way to (18)_____ road for him. We passed many villages on the way and stopped once (19)_____ to buy cold drinks, (20)_____ it was very hot. The countryside was brown and dry and there were long (21)_____ with no people or villages in (22)_____. We also stopped once at some road works, (23)_____ made my traveling companion very (24)_____.
Most of us were dozing in the afternoon heat (25)_____ we were (26)_____ by a sudden noise which (27)_____ a shot from a gun. As the bus swerved(突然转向) and then stopped (28 )_____ the side of the road, I remembered all the horrible stories I had read about bands of robbers who used to attack travelers on (29)_____ roads like this. Many of (30)_____ people looked as bewildered and frightened as I (31)_____.
My neighbor, (32)_____ , reassured me. “Nothing (33)_____, only a (34)_____ tyre. But we (35)_____ while he changes the wheel.”
16. A. set in B. set off C. set D. set up
17. A. traveling B. going C. judging D. coming
18. A. investigate B. repair C. explore D. test
19. A. and two B. or twice C. or two D. and twice
20. A. because B. since C. now that D. when
21. A. extensions B. ways C. stretches D. periods
22. A. view B. vision C. sight D. eyes
23. A. as it B. which C. so that D. thus
24. A. upset B. depressed C. calm D. excited
25. A. when B. where C. while D. the moment
26. A. waken B. awake C. woke D. woken
27. A. sounded as B. sounded like C. sounded with D. sound as if
28. A. to B. onto C. at D. besides
29. A. desert B. deserted C. dessert D. desserted
30. A. the other B. other C. another D. the
31. A. as I was looked B. as I must have looked
C. as I must have been looked D. as I look
32. A. therefore B. although C. however D. furthermore
33. A. to be worried B. to worry C. to be worried about D. to worry about
34. A. flat B. broken C. wrong D. burst
35. A. will have been waiting B. will have waited
C. shall need wait D. shall have to wait
What will man be like in the future-in 5000 or even 50,000 years from now? We can only make guesses, of course, but we can be sure that he will be different from what he is today. For man is slowly changing all the time.
Let us take an obvious example. Man, even five hundred years ago, was shorter than he is today. Now, on average, men are about three inches taller. Five hundred years is relatively short period of time, so we may assume that man will continue to grow taller. Again, in the modern world we use our brains a great deal. Even so, we still make use of only about 20% of the brain's capacity. As time goes on, however, we shall have to use our brains more and more, and eventually we shall need larger ones! This is likely to bring about a physical change to the head, in particular the forehead, will grow larger.